Are you looking to stand out on the number one streaming platform in the world, with greater control over your music and your branding as an artist?
It may be time to learn how to create an official YouTube channel.
- What’s an Official Artist Channel?
- Why Should You Create Your Official Artist Channel
- Frequently Asked Questions about How to Create an Official YouTube Channel
- How to Get an Official Artist Channel on YouTube
- You Have Your Official Artist Channel. Now What?
- Want to Make the Most of Your Official Artist Channel on YouTube?
Attention YouTube Musicians: What’s an Official Artist Channel?
With an Official Artist Channel (OAC), you get an easy way to manage your YouTube videos. Your OAC simplifies the process of getting in touch with your fans, increasing brand recognition, and promoting your music.
If you don’t have an OAC, you might notice that your content on YouTube seems scattered. While the videos you upload will be listed on your personal or brand channel, related videos – including those created by other people that use your music (which is called “user-generated content,” or UGC) – might be found anywhere among the billions of videos on the platform.
With a YouTube official artist channel, you have a central place for your audience to enjoy your “official” presence as an artist. Your fans won’t need to scour YouTube looking for videos that may or may not relate to you and your music, because everything can be found on your OAC.
Having an official YouTube channel lets you:
- Consolidate your subscribers and video watch-time, even when it’s across multiple channels
- Collect all your video content in a single destination
- Improve your marketing with access to exclusive tools and more comprehensive analytics
Why Should You Create Your Official Artist Channel Now?
The question you should be asking yourself here is – why not? There are many benefits to having an OAC on YouTube. Here are seven of the best:
1. Build your brand while you simplify your life
You might think setting up a whole new YouTube channel sounds like a lot of work, but when you claim Official Artist Channel, it’s just a new type of layout for your existing YouTube content. You can enhance your channel layout with:
Pick the best video that represents your brand and gets your audience pumped – even if it’s a video that you didn’t upload yourself – and spotlight the content at the top of your OAC page. You can even designate different feature videos for subscribers versus new visitors to your page.
Engage this optional auto-generated playlist feature to showcase your albums in order of release date, with the newest released album first.
Another optional auto-generated feature, this section pulls content from all of your YouTube channels and organizes a playlist by your choice of:
- Video type
- Upload date
–Customizable (curated) sections
Want to give your fans and visitors more playlist options? You can curate your own playlists and add them to optional extra shelves on your OAC page. This helps you bring order to the consolidated content on your official channel and present a unified image as an artist across YouTube.
2. Expand your reach with combined multi-channel stats
With an Official Artist Channel, it’s not just your videos that get combined – it’s also your stats.
YouTube’s recommendation engines are driven by metrics that measure various forms of viewer engagement. With an OAC, all your important stats across channels – subscribers, watch time, and more – are combined to boost your overall performance. This, in turn, results in YouTube recommending your videos to more potential viewers.
3. Show up more often and more consistently in YouTube searches
Your OAC will be linked to a “watch card” that appears on the right side of the screen in YouTube searches. That way, people searching for your music will know exactly where to go and which channel they should subscribe to for official videos.
4. Make it easy to engage and interact with all your fans
With an Official Artist Channel, all your fan and viewer engagement is consolidated along with your videos. Bringing everything together makes it a snap to monitor comment and viewing activity, offer shout-outs, respond to your comments, and more.
5. You’re in control of your top content
Don’t let other YouTube channels decide what content of yours should be highlighted. With an OAC, you choose your most important content and shine a spotlight on your best work.
There are two ways you can highlight the content that you most want seen:
- Featured Video: Pick the content you want viewed the most, and slot it at the top of your page where it will always be the first thing visitors notice
- Promotional Shelf: YouTube channels display automated Music Video and Album shelves, but with an OAC, you can customize your content the way you want it presented and place it above the automated selections.
6. Enjoy additional special features, including deep analytics
Having an Official Artist Channel allows you to see and analyze important metrics for all content on your own channel and related channels, including user-generated content, VEVO, topic channels, Art Tracks, and more.
In addition, an OAC lets you:
- Qualify for promotional YouTube programs, such as Creator on the Rise and Artist on the Rise
- Get more live fans by promoting tours and selling concert tickets directly through YouTube
7. Full consolidation equals boosted monetization
You may be familiar with YouTube’s requirements for monetizing music content. In order to qualify, you need to meet minimum thresholds for subscriber numbers, watch-time, and others.
Meeting these requirements – and therefore qualifying for the YouTube Partner Program (YPP) – is far easier with an OAC. Because your metrics across the YouTube platform are combined into one channel, you’ll be able to reach the minimums and start making money much faster.
Frequently Asked Questions about How to Create an Official YouTube Channel
How will my videos and music content appear on my OAC?
Much like your existing YouTube channel, an OAC will include the customizable top header image for your channel. But you’ll also have:
- A new Featured Video section, which you can customize differently for subscribes versus first-time channel visitors
- An additional shelf that you can customize to display the videos and content you want to highlight
- Auto-generated music video and album shelves
- Additional customizable sections that you can configure with UGC, curated playlists, content from other YouTube artists, and more
Will I still be able to control my YouTube channel?
Absolutely! Having an official artist channel YouTube promotes does not transfer possession of your channel. It simply consolidates all your content from across the YouTube platform.
The difference with an official channel is that all OACs have to conform to YouTube’s layout standards that are designed to benefit the user experience. There are still plenty of customizable options available beyond these standards to play with.
Do I meet the qualifications for an Official Artist Channel on YouTube?
You can apply for an official artist channel on YouTube if you:
- Are the owner of a YouTube channel representing a single artist or band
- Have done at least one official music release through YouTube Music
- Do not have any policy violations associated with your channel
How to Get an Official Artist Channel on YouTube
Step one in how to create an official YouTube channel is to join the Official Artist Program on YouTube.
If you are sending your music to digital platforms through a distributor, such as Tunecore or CDBaby, your tracks have already been sent to YouTube Music. This prompts YouTube to auto-generate a “Topic” channel for your music brand.
When you claim your OAC, you’ll be able to combine your own channel with the Topic channel to consolidate your content “officially.”
If you aren’t working with a digital distributor or a label, you can contact your YouTube partner manager to set up your Official Artist Channel.
Minimum eligibility requirements to qualify for an OAC:
- You must follow all YouTube policies for monetization. This collection of policies allows you to make money with your YouTube videos, as long as you continue to comply with the guidelines set forth in the policies.
- The YouTube Partner Program must be available in the country or region where you live. Currently you can sign up in the following countries:
- American Samoa
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Cayman Islands
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
- French Guiana
- French Polynesia
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- Northern Mariana Islands
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- South Korea
- Sri Lanka
- Turks and Caicos Islands
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
- United States
- U.S. Virgin Islands
- You must have an AdSense account that’s linked to your YouTube account
- Over the last 12 months, you must have at least 4,000 hours of valid watch-time
- You’ll need to have at least 1,000 channel subscribers
Application checklist for the YouTube Partner Program:
Follow this checklist for your best chance at qualifying for the YouTube Partner Program (YPP).
1. Ensure that your channel follows all YouTube guidelines and policies. YouTube will run a standard review process on your channel when you apply for the YPP, and continue to check enrolled channels to ensure their policies and guidelines are constantly met.
2. Make sure that your Google account has 2-Step Verification enabled. Without it, the review of your YPP application may be delayed. If you don’t have 2-Step Verification enabled, you can get started at g.co/2sv.
3. Check that you meet the minimum thresholds of 4,000 hours of valid watch-time and 1,000 subscribers for your channel. If you don’t yet meet the minimum public watch hour and subscriber thresholds, you can sign up to be notified when you do.
4. After your channel has reached the minimum requirements, sign the terms for the YPP by:
- Signing in to your YouTube account
- Clicking your profile picture at the top right
- Choosing Monetization from the left-side menu (this is where you can find the “Notify me when I’m eligible” option if you don’t yet meet the minimum requirements)
- On the “Review Partner Program Terms” card, click Start
- When you have signed the terms, this card will be marked with a green “Done” label
5. Ensure that you have only one AdSense account, and that it is connected to your YouTube account. You need this step to get paid!
- Go to the “Sign up for Google AdSense” card and click Start. If you’ve already created an AdSense account, you can link it here. If you don’t yet have one, follow the on-screen instructions to create your AdSense account.
- After your AdSense account is connected, this card will be marked with a green “Done” label.
6. Wait for your channel review. When the previous steps have been completed, YouTube will automatically place your channel into a review queue, where it will be looked over first by automated systems, and then by YouTube reviewers to ensure that the requirements are met. If you want to check out your application status during this time, head to https://studio.youtube.com/channel/UC/monetization.
- If you’re accepted: Congratulations! Now you can configure your preferences for ads and monetize your uploads to make money on YouTube.
- If you’re declined: A rejection from YPP means that a portion or portions of your channel do not meet YouTube guidelines and/or policy. You can reapply for the YouTube Partner Program starting 30 days after a rejection.
You Have Your Official Artist Channel. Now What?
You know how to create an official YouTube Channel, and you’ve done it. What are your next steps?
Claiming your Official Artist Channel on YouTube is an exciting time. Now, you can begin exploring! Log into your channel and start using your new customization options, and have a look at all the tools you can now access.
With an OAC, your content streams and channel management on YouTube will be simplified – leaving you with more time to interact with subscribers, build your brand presence, and create even more amazing music. Now that you have a centralized YouTube platform, you may even start seeing rapid audience gains and increased revenue.
Want to Make the Most of Your Official Artist Channel on YouTube? We Can Help!
Reach even greater heights of success when you work with us to promote your official YouTube channel.
We can propel your content to the top results on YouTube, giving you increased likes, comments, subscribers, and viewing hours and leading to one hundred percent organic growth for your brand.
Don’t take our word for it – our numbers speak for themselves, with the millions of views we’ve gotten for our clients. Head here to check out our success stories > https://youtube.playlist-promotion.com/success-stories/
We target the audience that wants your content
Simply stated, with our targeted YouTube campaigns, your videos are placed in front of real people who enjoy the music you’re promoting.
When you have real YouTube viewers, you’ll gain real fans, likes, and comments on your content – which in turn leads to brand loyalty, the biggest factor in building a career as an artist.
Creating an Official Artist Channel on YouTube makes it easy to pull your content together – but we make it even easier to build on that official channel with targeted marketing that brings you real, organic results.
With our marketing program’s algorithms, your promotion is optimized in real-time – which means every dollar of your marketing campaign is spent efficiently on delivering genuine results.
Contact us today to get started, or to ask us anything about digital promotions for your music and furthering your artist career, on YouTube and beyond.
Campaigns > Youtube.Playlist-Promotion.com/store/